Saturday, April 19, 2008

Foreign Films

I have always thought that foreign films were so much meatier than their North American cousins and in all, the purest form of the art. I never minded the subtitles and when I am lucky enough to know the original language I don't even notice the words racing across the screen. Foreign films work your eyes and your ears and while you are surrounded by the music of a myriad of languages, you are transported to any number of far away places that you have always dreamed of visiting. The best part of travel via the big screen is that you are not a tourist. You are instantly relocated and you find that you are able to adapt rather quickly with minimal culture shock . These films are not for everyone and as a rule, those seeking adventure when they go to the cinema are encouraged to remain at home watching Roy Rogers reruns or go to the nearest pub for a rousing game of darts or snooker. I had never equated the word "boring" to anything that came with subtitles, but now, sadly, I must confess to having recently seen not one but two duds! Both with Spanish/Portuguese/soccer themes and both rather disappointing although the second one was so bad that I couldn't figure out the ending despite the fact that much of the dialogue was in English. (with a heavy Spanish accent!!) I suppose that I must now revise my elitist take on the foreign film and admit that a dud is a dud is a dud and is not limited to American/Canadian movies. A dud can come in many different languages so I am thinking that it is time for me to develop a taste for Docs!!

No comments: