Friday, April 11, 2008

Bonne Fete

Tomorrow is my birthday and even now many many moons after my arrival it still takes a whole year to get here! When I was little I'd wait and wait for my special day and it always seemed to take eons to get here. Mom and Dad made sure that all of our birthdays were unforgettable so it is no wonder that even today when our days finally roll around my sibs and I get birthday euphoria. We have grown up, had our own families and taught our children about the wonder of their birthdays although ours are of course just a teeny bit more important because we've been at this longer than they have. For us, birthdays never had much to do with age unless we were up for a driving permit or entry into an establishment where alcohol was served. Birthdays were simply OUR days and that is probably why we always tried to make them last as long as possible. We were so reluctant to see them draw to a close and because hey were always less about the presents and more about the CAKE we have naturally grown into happy birthday cake consumers who seem to have easily maintained that same level of appreciation for the modern versions as we did for those long ago clown ice cream cakes with multicoloured balloon candles or the incredible Woolworth offerings. This will be my first birthday without family as they are busy working or away and as such it should prove to be a an interesting experience at the very least. The birthday euphoria is at bay and for the first time in my entire life my birthday will dawn and I will be alone. This may make for a quieter start yet I expect to fully enjoy this new low key celebration of MY day and plans with a special friend in the evening are definitely something to look forward to.

No comments: