Monday, June 23, 2008

The Last Dance

Although I love music and dancing I am a far better listener that I am a dancer unless you count the Cha Cha. Once a year at our pre-summer dinner dance I get to kick up my old heels and thanks to an impeccable partner, I actually look like a real dancer. My partner is such an incredible dancer that all eyes focus on him and by osmosis the few that shift their gaze in my direction are totally fooled into believing that I am on the same level as he is. I however know the truth and that is that my dancing is very much like the emperor's new clothes; simply not there! My partner for these past 4 years has been my boss and when we began our once a year ritual, it was because I didn't know how to politely refuse without looking like a complete chicken so I tried hard to overcome what I knew to be the fear of showing my colleagues how bad a dancer I really am. Once I conquered my demons, I found that there could be joy where I had least expected it. I will always be grateful for this unexpected gift, and tonight after our last dance, I have to admit that this is yet another thing I will miss when he goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for not ever having had the chance!