Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Hybrid

Until this morning I was under the misconception that I knew what a hybrid was. In fact, I'd have wagered money that it referred to a model of Toyota so it clearly came as quite a shock to learn that here up north, nestled in the pristine wooded area of a natural habitat that is also known as Hillsdale,'hybrid' refers to a certain golf club which I (probably incorrectly) assume is a cross between a wood and an iron though physically it calls to mind the wood family albeit on a smaller scale. I had not expected to trade in my favourite fairway club (3 wood of course) in order to "try" the hybrid but that is just what I ended up doing. After watching the great hybrid shots my mom had, it was my turn and I fully and as it turns out foolishly expected the same success quotient. Boy was I off in my thinking. This hybrid fought me every step of the fairway and totally refused to cooperate. My ball went sideways and seemed to be playing Mother May I Take A Step as it grudgingly advanced baby step by baby step each time I handled the incomparable HYBRID!! By the 5th hole I had finally seen the light. I would be best off sticking with what I know so with a smile and an inner glow of gratitude for the sunshine and my trusty 'old' clubs, I returned Mr. Hybrid to Mom!!!

No comments: