Friday, February 4, 2011

TGIF

I NEVER say things like TGIF despite the fact that nearly everyone I work with all week seems to break into one happy Friday dance or another. I always smile and nod in agreement with their varied "phew, it's Friday" remarks but I am not the one to initiate any pre weekend celebratory statements. I think this is because my Friday joy is absolute, precious and something I prefer to keep private, for me alone. Why share my 'little' joy when it is more of a quiet personal thing and besides, since everyone has 'theirs' it seems to me that voicing my euphoria might be construed as pre weekend overkill. Instead, I am a supportive bystander to the cartwheels, high fives, excessive snacking in the common lunchroom, broad grins and humming upbeat nameless tunes that gather speed throughout the day and last all the way to quitting time.I am fine with not being an active participant and thoroughly revel in my own thoughts as they pertain to the next 48 hours. I ruminate about many important things. For example; how late might I stay up knowing that for the next 48hrs my alarm clock is mercifully on OFF! What time will I schedule dinners without fear of eating too close to bedtime? How late will I sleep in, just because I can? How much time will be spent lolling about catching up on my reading? Where will I choose to take a leisurely stroll to enjoy this cold winter of ours? Who will come to visit and what movie might we go to see in a real theatre? Which music will I listen to -as loudly as I want- from my playlist? Who will I get to catch up with on the telephone? While I fully recognize that for me, the raptures of weekends are mostly about time, I never get annoyed at all the things I don't get to do throughout the week. I just really LOVE my weekends and Friday being the start, remains my favourite day of all!

No comments: