Wednesday, January 12, 2011

From Underpants To Pasta

It seems to be fact that as parents we come to the realization that our offspring remember precious little of the day to day minutae of their growing up years while we can't seem to shed any of what passed before probably because we were the orchestra leaders and pretty much directed the whole show. This does not mean that our children were not the co-directors, it just means that we sometimes forget to share the credit when we reminisce. As a small little boy my son hated clothes shopping so on those rare occasions when he had to come along, the challenge was to make it at least somewhat exciting. One of the most boring items that we purchased was underwear and would you believe socks? I was fortunate, luckier than any mom I know to have been blessed with a little boy who was the king of imagination and I do not use this term lightly. I was also a fortunate consumer who got to shop in an era when any number of cartoon heroes were depicted on boys underpants. This made the act of choosing a painless prospect for my son and it taught him the importance of variety as somehow instinctively he just knew it would be wrong to limit his underwear to He Man or Voltron. He wisely shared the wealth by strutting about in Batman and a vast array of others, and so he learned to be an equal opportunity consumer way before the term became popular. I know that I can never again be the mom of that most amazing little boy, but I'm good with that because I am the mom of a totally incredible man who knows just how happy his 'old' mother will be when he tells her that he is making 'Spiderman" Zoodles for dinner!!

No comments: