Sunday, January 27, 2008

Dressing up!

While talking to my parents who are the classic examples of those "Snowbirds" who make their hasty departure from the north to the south just before the first snowfall even thinks of hitting town, I learn upon inquiring as to their plans for the day, that they are "dressing up" to go and enjoy the sunshine and warmth by the ocean. I tell them when they ask what I am up to, that I am in fact "dressing up" to enjoy my day out in the sunshine too, only my day includes SNOW! I advise them that my ventures forth from home involve serious preparation of apparel-both inner and outer- and therefore going out here is definitely the dressier occasion. To comprehend the seriousness of recognizing when to dress up and how, you would have to have grown up with my mom who was ( and is ) always the exemplar of the perfect dresser and instinctively knew just what was required for all occasions, making sure we were always appropriately attired, and then there's Dad who was a fashion designer and who knew not only how Mom should be turned out, but also had a good deal of input into how we children were to be allowed out for public viewing! The irony here is that depite our father's great sense of style, Mom was Dad's personal fashion consultant and no matter what he knew, she was his dresser from those first "pink" (before anyone had them) shirts, to dreaded pleated uncuffed dress pants etc. etc. So it is not surprising to hear today that Mom is getting "dressed up" for the beach! This will undoubtedly include that stunning bathing suit, flowingly attractive serape, matching high-heeled sandals, designer sunglasses, beautiful earrings, that perfect shade of lipstick and that ever present must, the MATCHING sun visor! My mother always stressed the importance of dressing up as needed so in honour of her I am wearing silk long underwear, silk turtleneck, cashmere sweater and socks, matching hat, scarf and gloves (cashmere again!) and voila! I am dressed up to Mom's specs.

1 comment:

Johnboy said...

And I'll bet you both look gorgeous!