Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Disclaimer (Conceptual Assistance, M.M.)

Due to the inordinate amount of responses received regarding the grandma post, I realize that I can either choose to send a bulk email denial, or address the "burning" question right here; so I have opted for here. None of my daughters are pregnant nor are the girlfriends of my sons pregnant. This is not to say that I am in any way relieved or smug regarding the obvious delay in my becoming a grandma, because if it was my time to join the club, I would definitely be the A type, 'over the moon' and in the throes of amassing an incredible selection of booties, mini nightdresses with the strings at the bottom to make sure teeny feet stay warm, infant undershirts that tie on the side, and a mini hat collection in those yummy pastel shades of yellow... until I learn from "technology" which hues to add; pale pink, or blue! I would be selecting various jazz standards and old opera favourites to play to my future grandchild and I would strongly counsel against any inappropriate readings the prospective parents might attempt to imput as a means of early religious indoctrination and/or early literacy intervention. My focus would definitely be on my becoming the PERFECT grandma, the best "keeper" of the baby that any baby could wish for because suddenly as Grandma I will have turned into a recognized and acknowledged authority on most things "baby"!! While the parents to be a.k.a. my "kids" try to show their superiority on the topic of who knows more about how to BE with baby and what it is that baby needs, I have only to dimiss that newfangled overrated swaddling blanket with a barely discernable roll of my eyes before my kids get it. Wedding or no wedding I intend to fall madly and permanently in love with this baby, and I expect to be allowed to raise it as I see fit, oops I mean of course the kids will do the raising and there isn't a single doubt in my mind that they will do a spectacular job with MY grandchildren! I know this is true because I know how they were raised and I know that they know it too, even if their initial joy at impending parenthood suddenly causes gaps in their memory, at the end of the day, they will surely remember that their parents and their GRANDPARENTS were their keepers, and because they know they've turned out just fine, we grandparents and grandparents to be, thanks to our extensive experience, get to have another go.

No comments: